Pages

Saturday, January 2, 2010

STILL NOT SURE IF YOU WANT TO "COUPON"??

The nagging feeling inside you is there, like that squeaky shopping cart in the aisle that you can no longer pretend to ignore. It's the voice that tells you it's time to get serious about the way you shop... and save! Saving at the stores is more than just holding your breath and hoping for the best. It takes strategy--and yes--- a little bit of time to plan as well. When I talk to others about why they don't coupon, they have many reasons including:

1) There is no time left in the day.
2) It doesn't really make a big difference.
3) I make enough money to shop the way I want to. And so on...

The comment that amazes me the most is the, "I make enough money to shop the way I want to shop." I cannot wrap my mind around the fact that a hard-working person who earns ample amounts of money wouldn't want to keep MORE of it around. According to Suzie Brown, chief marketing officer of Valassis Communications Inc., a processor and distributor of coupons, "the average consumer can save more than $1,000 a year by being (JUST) a moderate coupon shopper. It's essentially cash," Brown said. So even without too much thought, time or care, a person could save a pretty large chunk of change, even enough for a few extra rounds of golf!
That's not very extreme, now, is it?

Moreover, couponing isn't just for "old people" anymore. Believe it or not, coupon redemption is up double digits in the last three quarters (in 2008 and 2009). An online study by Digital Research revealed that 47 percent of shoppers are spending less on groceries this year, with the average weekly bill at $108, and "are using more coupons and promotions. "Whether we want to admit it or not, the recession is affecting everyone and it's time to take notice and leave hesitation at the wayside. Couponing DOES make a difference. Many dimes, pennies and quarters add up to dollars and true noticeable savings! If you only took the time to track your savings, you too would learn to SEE the difference!

Finally, the stickler: "I don't have time to coupon." I believe the key to taking ownership in personal saving is to actually be willing to "test drive" a few tricks of the trade. I was not a "coupon believer," until I realized that it could work for me and that my time was worth the benefits couponing and savvy shopping could reap.

So get off the fence and come and learn the tricks of the trade and how you can put it to work for your family!

No comments:

Post a Comment