Pages

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

WHAT DID YOU THINK ABOUT EXTREME COUPONING?

Ok...so how many of you watched Extreme Couponing. All I've got to say is that show gives us couponers a bad name!

How many of us need 3,000 rolls of toilet paper (enough to last the average family for 40 years)?...or have over $15,000 worth of stock on hand or spend $70 for 1,000 coupons, or have 50 bottles of laundry detergent (about 1,600 loads) in their stockpile? Well, I confess I have about 60 bottles of laundry detergent! But it stops there!

How many boxes of pasta do you really need? I guess they don't have those bugs that just show up in your pasta. I personally think 125 boxes is a little much! Now if you were feeding a family like maybe the size of the Duggars you could MAYBE justify it! But they were a famly of two...and I might add a LARGE family of two. Hence the 150 candy bars! Who in the heck needs 150 candy bars? The only reason I buy candy bars is for filler items!

Their totals were impressive though and double coupons help tremendously! One paid $51.67 for $1,175.33 worth of groceries. Another paid $6.92 for $230.38 worth of groceries and the best paid $241.00 for $5,743 worth of stuff which included 1100 boxes of cereal that he paid $100 for. He also had a shopping cart full of toothbrushes and dental floss. I did that deal also but maybe got 8 dental floss! The best part is he donates a lot of his stuff. The first lady had a stockpile in her garage that was insured for about $35,000!!!

Who needs 200 deodorants? Did you know these have expiration dates? I certainly don't want to be the one to find out my deodorant has stopped working in the middle of a hot summer day because it was out-of-date!

So the moral to this story is have fun couponing, save your family money, stockpile to a reasonable level, don't have your friends dumpster dive for coupons, and don't go on TV so people will point at you when you are in the store!

4 comments:

  1. I watched the show! Very interesting but a little over the top. If they are donating and that's what they find fun to do, why not I guess, saving money and filling up your garage isn't hurting anyone except maybe your car!
    Would like to know myself how to get extra coupons without having to buy extra papers or buy them online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't get to watch the show (we turned of the satellite to save more money) but have been reading the comments left on the different blogs Southern Savers, Krazy Coupon Lady (she was on the show). I am couponing to save my family allowing me to say at home with my children. I do have a stockpile but OMW!!! They do give us NORMAL couponers a really bad name. Maybe this is why it is getting tougher to coupon at certain stores. Oh just an FYI you can go out to the landfill on SR207 and go through the paper recycling bin (i called and asked after seeing a clip of the show)lol. If you want to go that route.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched it and thought the 3rd lady was the most "normal" of the bunch if you had to pick a normal scenario. I liked how she tried to explain coupon usage and encouraged others to coupon. Plus, she only got what she needed at the grocery. I saw the others as "smash and grabbers" just clearing shelves & hoarding. That turns me off and gives "normal" couponers a bad rap. No wonder it's harder to use coupons these days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. Who needs 250 boxes of pasta. I have about 10 on my shelf and that is all I need! I guess they have never heard of weevels!

    ReplyDelete