Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012

COSTCO



We made a trip to Costco today to buy ribs and pineapple. I should have got my lettuce there but I had already picked it up at Publix. A chocolate cake ended up in our cart as well. You will see that in the next post. Sometimes you just have to forget about calories!

We were in Costco 2 weeks ago. I don't know what for. I think we ended up buying raviolli's (they are the best) and socks. Nothing exciting. But what I did see there was a storage ottoman for $199. Now who can't use more storage?? Since I was in the furniture industry, I knew that was a decent price. I didn't want to buy it then. I wanted to think about it, dream about it, lose sleep over it...do you know what I mean?

Fast forward two weeks. We wanted ribs so we took the truck to Costco instead of the gas-saving Prius just in case I wanted the ottoman. I walked up to it and gasped, squealing with delight. The price now said $129.97! Did I remember it wrong? No, my husband remembered the same thing. Now I don't know what that does for you, but for me I knew it was speaking to me. I just had to have it!

Now the story gets even better. My husband tells me to call my daughter in Miami because she had shown an interest in it also. She freaks out when I tell her the price. I give her the item number and she calls her store in Miami.

This is where the story taught me something about Costco. She calls me back and informs me her Costco has them for $99! Say what??? You have got to be kidding me!!

I march myself up to the front to speak to the manager to see if there is a way I can purchase it at the price they are selling it for in Miami. Isn't it supposed to be the opposite...more in Miami, less in Jacksonville? He informs me that the ottoman is a seasonal item and they are trying to get rid of them. When we saw it originally it was $199.99. Now it was $129.97. When an item ends in $.97 it is on clearance (that was nice to know). They will continue to mark it down until it sells out. He couldn't tell me for sure but he was under the impression it was going to be marked down to $99 tomorrow. What the heck! I am already here and I am not going to let this bad boy out of my sight!

He proceeded to tell me if it goes down in price within the next 30 days, I will get a refund! That is music to a couponers ears!!

I bet all of you can guess what I am doing first thing in the morning. Yep, calling Costco to get my refund. If it doesn't get marked down tomorrow, Cory the manager, will know me my name!

So the lesson here is watch for the prices that end in $.97. He said Costco makes deals with the manufacturers ahead of time and the manufacturer is the one who decides how low the piece will go. I bet there are many seasoned Costco shoppers that see something they want and then just watch it until it gets marked down. I know I certainly will from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment