Pages

Friday, January 4, 2013

DON'T BE FOOLED BY A NAME

I found this in a Consumer Reports Magazine. I don't know about you but I pretty much trust what they say. They test hundreds of products and their word is good enough for me.

In their laundry detergent tests, Martha Stewart Clean 2X liquid laundry detergent was only marginally better than water alone at removing soils. Tide Ultra Plus Bleach came out on top of the laundry pile in their tests.

I would like to be a fly on the wall when good ol' Martha sees that bit of information!

The other bit of information I thought was interesting was about chickens. Consumer Reports tested 382 whole chickens from 51 brands for incidence of contamination from salmonella and campylobacter bacteria. I don't know what that second thing is but it sure sounds bad! The three major brands, Perdue, Tyson, and Foster Farms all had contamination - but Perdue was the cleanest. The most contaminated were Tyson and Foster Farms.

To kill the bacteria, always make sure you cook your chicken to 165 degrees.

Most of us buy eggs on a regular basis. For most foods the expiration date indicates the last day the food should be eaten. Eggs are an exception. Federally graded fresh eggs in their shells are safe for three to five weeks after the expiration date on the carton, as long as you keep them refrigerated.

Do you remember as a kid making hard boiled eggs on Easter and leaving them out on the counter and eating them? I don't think our family was the only one who did this. I don't think I would do that now!

And finally, let's talk toilets. Do you want to get rid of a stubborn ring in your toilet? Apparently you can cut a piece of Magic Eraser and just drop it in your toilet overnight and it will clean that stubborn ring. Who knew?

1 comment: