Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2013

DRUGSTORE MAKEUP

I have been rearching make-up. I am sick and tired of spending money on expensive make-up and it doesn't work or you don't like it.

This all started when my daughter bought me blush for Christmas at Sephora. It wasn't cheap. It was $25 to $30. The color wasn't right so I gave her my blush I use now (which was Sephora) that I am scraping the sides to get any color. It's really empty but I don't want to give it up because I loved it. She went back to Sephora and told them to match the color I gave her.

She came back with a Laura Mercier color, same price, that was nothing like the color I sent. I could tell immediately it was going to be too light and too brown. Yep, I was right. So now I am going to head over there and ditch the blush deal all together and just get something else. That is what led me on my quest to find cheaper makeup because I am tired of spending a fortune on it.

This is what I found. I found some things out there that I would have never known about had I not researched it. I bought a few of them and I really liked them. The best part is that they all come from the drugstore. I still have more to get but I am doing it slowly so I don't put out a ton of money at one time.

Concealer was something I really need. The dark circles under my eyes are a bit scary sometimes in the morning and I could really use some help to brighten up my face. The Physicians Formula I use now just left creases under my eye no matter how much I blended or moisturized. I headed to the Clinique counter and they tried to sell me something that was about .02 oz. and sold for over $35. Well, maybe it wasn't that small, but it was a tiny, tiny tube. I then checked out Estee Lauder. Estee didn't turn out to be my friend either. She wanted over $45 for a concealer with emoillent moisturizers which is apparently what we need when we turn this age.

What I came up with was a concealer that makeup artists love. It is Maybelling Fit Her and it sells for $4.99. I didn't find it at CVS and finally found it at Target. I tried it and no more creases under my eyes! I couldn't believe it! It also brightened my face and gave me a sense of accomplishment knowing I didn't have to spend $45.

The next was eyebrow pencil. I have never used this before. I have never needed it. But now I notice some thinning out of my eyebrows. That doesn't surprise me since my hair is falling out by the handfuls. I think it started talking to my eyebrows and asked them to follow suit. I have used eyeshadow and various other pencils and never liked the way it looked. I found a pencil at CVS, again recommended by makeup artists, and it costs $4.97. It is by Rimmell and the color is Hazel. She said unless you were blond you would be able to use this color. Again, I love it!

Next, let us move on to blush. I still have to try this, but I bought two different shades. One of the kinds they recommended was Millani Blush which sells at CVS for $8.99. In fact, they were B1G1 50% off this week so I bought two colors. The color they recommended was Luminious which is supposed to mimic Nars Orgasam. Yes, Nars named their most popular blush that wins as being a fan favorite, orgasam. Go figure. I bought another color but I can't remember the name right now. I'll post about it after I try that one.

I'll keep you posted after I try the Revlon ColorStay Foundation which was another one of their favorite drugstore picks. If it works, that sure beats my $40 a bottle Estee Lauder Double Wear.

More to come on my makeup merry-go-round!

2 comments:

  1. I used Clinique and Estee Lauder for years and years and about 10 years ago found that I liked the drugstore brands just as good or BETTER.

    For blush, the el cheapo covergirl cheekers that go cheap at publix are good. Also, for an "expensive" drugstore brand Neutrogena blush is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try the drugstore blush you recommended. I am so tired of paying the high prices of department store brands!

    ReplyDelete