Pages

Saturday, November 24, 2012

NO MORE PUBLIX TURKEYS FOR ME

Note to self...Don't buy a Publix turkey again! Thanksgiving Day went on without a hitch except for my turkey! The fried turkey came out glistening with oil, fried to perfection. My turkey on the other hand, looked gorgeous BUT when we cut into it, it was still slightly pink. My meat thermometer said it was done, but it obviously wasn't. Back in the oven it went but there is something about a turkey being split open and then putting it back in the oven.

I can see why the Cooks Country Magazine said to use a Butterball. They are injected with all kinds of stuff we probably don't want to know what it is to make it moist. Not so with the Publix turkey. The breast meat was slightly dry although the flavor from my mayo/herb mixture was awesome. It didn't ooze out juices like the Butterball Turkey does.

My final verdit is I will make my turkey like I did with the mayo/herb mixture on top. I WILL NOT buy a Publix turkey, even if it is free! Actually, next year we are going to go camping for Thanksgiving and will fry a turkey and that just sounds perfect to me. Once you have a fried turkey it is hard going back!

3 comments:

  1. Aw, hate to hear your bird didn't come out as you had hoped (thankfully you had back-up)! And you're right about the fried turkey...so yummy and quick...just expensive to buy all the oil...but...couponing year-round should help fund it!

    Happy Thanksgiving...I'm thankful for your blog, Judi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought one of Publix's organic turkeys this year. It was pricey but boy was it good. My kids even commented on it this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I will have to try the organic turkey!

    ReplyDelete